2012年5月23日水曜日

"Wuthering Heights"

I read the beginning part of "Wuthering Heights."  I learned many things about it.  However, I still have a question.  I can't get the character of Lockwood.  Is he an innocent person or an ill-natured man?
              Well, Lockwood might be an innocent!  According to the story, Lockwood recognizes the place of Wuthering Heights as "a beautiful country."  He also regards Mr. Heathcliff as "a capital fellow."  In addition, he seems to like Mr. Heathcliff.  The story says that "he little imagined how my heart warmed towards him," and "I felt interested in a man who seemed more exaggeratedly reserved than myself."
              However, Lockwood might be an ill-natured man.  I studied that the part which Lockwood addresses Mr. Heathcliff persistently might be harassing behavior.  The part is; "'Mr. Lockwood, your new tenant, sir. I do myself the honour of calling as soon as possible after my arrival, to express the hope that I have not inconvenienced you by my perseverance in soliciting the occupation of Thrushcross Grange: I heard yesterday you had had some thoughts—'Thrushcross Grange is my own, sir,’ he interrupted."  I mean, Lockwood knows that Mr. Heathcliff hates being addressed for long time.  So, he did this because he wants to tease Mr. Heathcliff.  In addition, he recognizes himself as a "misanthropist." 
              Which is true character?  However, these mysteries make me fun!

1 件のコメント:

  1. I'm glad you enjoy the mystery. So do I.

    As for Mr Lockwood, I think that, as with other characters in the novel, he is a complex character. He has his outer self, the self he likes to think he is, and which he projects to society. But he also has an inner self that is a little different. Like a real person, he can be cruel, kind, loving, harsh, selfish and generous. That is one of the attractions of this book – the characters are full and complex, almost like real people. Perhaps that is why so many people fall in love with Cathy or Heathcliffe.

    返信削除